Broadoak can be more aptly described as a scattered hamlet, with the Church, Village Hall and the replacement oak tree at the centre. Lying at the lower end of the Marshwood Vale, Broadoak remains the largely agricultural community it has always been with virtually all the houses permanently lived in and no holiday lets.
There is a total population of around 60. About half live in the long village road, the rest being in isolated farms and cottages. There are five farms and about thirty houses and cottages.
Broadoak is the northern part of the parish of Symondsbury and joins the parish of Loders at Dottery to the east. St Paul’s Church is a simple ham stone chapel of ease built in 1865 as a daughter church for Symondsbury. Congregations fluctuate from a few faithful regulars at the monthly services to filled pews at festivals. The Church is not licensed for marriages, so Broadoak brides have to go to Symondsbury.
There are several farming businesses including an ex-dairy farm which now leases out buildings to an innovative food business, local artisan craftsmen including cabinet makers, blacksmiths, sculptors, carpentry workers and stonemasons. There is an increase in local wildlife due to the nature friendly farming techniques being practiced locally. There is an equestrian establishment where young horses and ponies are broken and trained. The old printing works houses a children’s equipment distributor. At the western end, another farm has a pottery and other artisan workshops.