Dottery is a small hamlet about a mile or so to the north of Bridport, and three miles from Loders. It is surrounded by farmland, but only three of the original farming families still remain there. A few light industries have started at Westwey just down the road towards Bridport and almost opposite them are a children’s nursery and a well known farm shop.
Longer ago, the area around Dottery boasted a blacksmith’s shop, two public houses, a small shop, a wheelwright and undertaker, a slaughterhouse and a tollhouse. Sadly, all these have gone over the years.
Dottery is part of the parish of Loders. The tiny church of St Saviour was built from 1881-2, on the instigation of the then Vicar, and is made of corrugated iron, rather like a Nissen hut, with an almost unchanged interior of pine pews and panelling. The ground for the Chapel was donated by a farming family which is still actively farming in Dottery. It has a pointed roof with a cross and a little bell turret. It is one of the “Tin Tabernacles” as they were affectionately called, which were built in many rural places to save a long trek to the Parish Church on foot. The American pedal organ is still in use and a small but loyal group of worshippers meet on the 2nd and 4th Sundays for Holy Communion, using the 1662 Book of Common Prayer.